VILA ISABEL AGM Accomplishments Summaries:
- A Christmas party was held for 120 children at Nubem’s house;
- Renovation of the second floor of Nubem’s house was completed;
- Two successful garage sales took place to raise funds as well as several personal donations were made to Vila Isabel.
- Renovations for Nubem’s house started at the first floor in the bathrooms and kitchen so they could continue with his programs of weekly soups, storytelling, music classes, arts and crafts activities. Moving on to the second floor for a full renovation of its roof, doors, windows, flooring;
- Successful fundraising was completed with many personal donations as well as annual garage sale and dinner Feijoada.
- Approval for a new house for Nubem was granted. A house has been donated from Betim’s Municipality, which requires some renovations. Vila Isabel and Nubem will work together to accomplish its renovation and be able to continue its programs;
- Many successful events were hosted to raise money including the garage sale, Vancouver local band, Boom Boom, hosted an event to donate funds for the music program, a Halloween Costume Swap event and some of our supporters hosted birthday parties and encouraged their friends to contribute to the cause.
- Vila Isabel supported the Food Basket program once again as well as the school supplies program and lunch day care for children. These continued to offer safety, care, nutrition, education, training and play activities not only for the children but also the community;
- Successful events as Christmas party, garage sale and Photo exhibition was hosted;
- The rental of Nubem’s house came to an end however this has opened the door to find a bigger place to accommodate all the programs that had been successful to the community.
- The two main accomplishments for this year are the Food Basket to support family facing hunger;
- The Afterschool lunch at Nubem’s house, where children come to study and do crafts under supervision;
- School supplies continued to be provided and more educational games were provided to help children facing difficulty in math, spelling and solving problems skills;
- Rental of Nubem’s house including the costs of electricity and water service;.
- An amazing garage sale was held.
- The Nubem house set up the previous year is now recognized by the whole community as a place to learn, get nourishing food and receive health orientation;
- A full year support with school supplies, afterschool lunch and rental;
- The food basket program continued to assist another 12 families;
- Vila Isabel held the first Brazilfest event, a garage sale and Feijoada dinner.
- The food basket program was carried out again to assist families most in need while looking for employment;
- An initiative began to fund the rental of Nubem’s house. It was set up to provide a safe place for families in need to get nourishing food, counseling as well as to give children after school support and a place to study. Nubem supplied two tutors. These initiatives benefited the whole community;
- Vila Isabel also funded the Housing program by purchasing materials as bricks, cements, roof to make some homes safe and livable in the community;
- A successful garage sale was held and some donations were made.
- The food basket program continued by Vila Isabel and successfully executed. Nubem identified 40 families most in need of this assistance. They received food baskets for 6 months with the caveat that they look for jobs during this time. In turn, full time employment was attained;
- The fundraising events of the garage sale and Feijoada dinner were once again a success as well as some donations.
- The food basket program continued with a great success and we could see the positive changes in the children health;
- The second garage sale and Feijoada dinner took place and many personal donations were made to Vila Isabel.
- A partnership was established with Nucleo Beneficente Mirandinha – a Brazilian registered not-for-profit organization in the township of Betim, Minas Gerais State, Brazil. This not-for-profit organization was lead by Nubem, in Brazil, and would execute programs that Vila Isabel approved with the goal to build a kitchen where families could be assisted;
- The food basket program was approved and many families struggling with poverty and hunger were assisted;
- The first garage sale and Feijoada dinner were organized in Vancouver, BC to raise funds to assist families in Betim, with the assistance of many volunteers.